Conclusion On Bios security - A BIOS built in CMOS flash memory chip in motherboard have strong password capability and BIOS configuration enhances the security of your computer system.
Being new to computer i have come to know about BIOS password and its configuration to obstruct accessing of my confidential data of computer system.Do the configuration of BIOS password of my computer system will make security of BIOS more complex.
Introduction to BIOS
BIOS is “Basic input/output system”.It is the program that is first to run when our computer is started.it runs before operating system such as windows.Infact it is the bios which loads the operating system.Once the computer is started BIOS takes control.Once the BIOS loads the operating system it transfers control to the operating system.BIOS detects the boot priority whether to boot from CD or HARDdisk.BIOS has a password feature which disable the access if the password does not match.When we buy a new computer its password is generally disable as default.You can easily set BIOS password at your convenience.
Having a bios password adds security to your computer.you can treat it as another security layer for your computer.
BIOS password can be applied in two ways
- To gain access to BIOS setting.
- To gain access to computer itself.
Security through Configuration of BIOS password
- By use of limiting BIOS password.That is by making the BIOS password limited to BIOS setting only.thus,no one can change your BIOS setting.
- Limit the setting of BIOS to boot only through hard disk and then no one can access through booting through CD as well as from network devices(booting from virtual computer or other computer
How BIOS password secure my BIOS
- In most cases, the configured BIOS password is required to boot-up the machine, What if you will forget the password? Even when there is no chance to recover the password. Well, Many machine’s provide the facility to access directly to the motherboard of the computer using a jumper or any other device to reset the password and get the accessment with your machine again. But the sophisticated part of the matter starts here that any other person can also do the same to reset your bios password.
- The BIOS password also secure BIOS by obstucting others to access BIOS setting.This would help you to secure your computer because in order to access your BIOS one need BIOS password which is rare to obtain through network but can be obtain mostly through physical access i explained above.