Conclusion On Computer power supply - Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) is a unit that converts power from a battery source or electrical source to a load like personal computer or mainframes.In this section we will be looking at why Power Supply Units (PSU) of our computer fails,their reasons & the ways for overcoming these failures.
I have been using Intel desktop since 5 years.But, the machine locks up frequently during booting.When I run memory test program it is giving errors & not allowing me to enter a boot setup.But,after few seconds Windows starts booting.Is anything wrong with my Power Supply Unit?What should I do?
Computer Power supply Unit
- Power supply of Computer is an electronic unit that supplies power by altering current & voltage characteristics form source form to destination form.
- In technical terminology of computers, it is called Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) because it makes use of switching regulator.
- Regulator is mainly used for switching,which occurs quickly between 50 KHz-1 MHz.
- These regulators are highly efficient in functioning.They are of smaller size & are light weight.
- However,switching regulators can cause electrical noise if not designed carefully.
Power supply for computer
- Power supply of your desktop provides power needed by all the components of your computer to function properly.
- Basically power supply operates on 3 voltage levels.They are -
- 3.3 volts – Mainly used by digital circuits.
- 5 volts – Used by VSB circuit for “standby voltage”.
- 12 volts – Used for running fans & motors in disk drives .
- The power supply is usually measured in Watts that is a unit of voltage.
- Some power consumption values of different peripherals are -
- Network interface card – 4W
- Hard disk – 10W
- 550 Hz Pentium III – 30W
- RAM -10W
- CD-ROM – 10-25W
- Motherboard -20-30W
Best computer power supply
- Power supply uses Switcher technology to convert AC voltage in DC voltage.Switchers or Switched regulators are replacement of linear regulators because they dissipate more power &hence waste energy.
- Sometimes power supplies generates noise from fans used for cooling.To avoid this,you can use a large sized fans that run at slow speed without making noise.
- Do not touch the power supply cables as they contain capacitors having electricity.This can cause electric shock.
- Most common reason for power supply failure are lightning, dirty environment & overheating.
Power supply in computer
- Modern computer power supply is a device with on & off switch that translates AC power from main supply into output DC voltages.
- Power supplies can consists of magnetic amplifiers & converter circuit design.
- Switched Power supply is more efficient then linear power supply because it uses small transformer that are of small size & are light weight.
- In Switched power supply,there is very little loss between input & output load.It generates heat only in abnormal conditions.
Computer Power supply fan
- Most predominant component of any Power supply unit (PSU) is power supply fan.It is the primitive source of cooling inside your cabinet.
- In addition to power supply fan,some newer systems include auxiliary fans & special cooling devices.
- These fans operate at +12 volts.
- One significant factor to be considered for fans are the quality of construction of motors.Motors must be of good quality.
- Another factor is how much air is fan throwing out.If this is more that means, fan is doing work nicely.
Replace computer Power supply
- If your computer is overheating & overloaded,then its the time to replace a power supply.
- Now,first check if your power supply is AT (Advanced Technology) or ATX (Advanced Technology Extended) style.
- Check the output voltage in watts (for eg, ATX-350W). Be sure to buy a new power supply with same or higher wattage.The higher the wattage,the more energy your power supply will provide to your system.
- Always use the proper power supply connectors.Some computer manufacturers like Dell provide their connectors with power supplies.
Incoming search terms:
- power supply
- computer power supply
- power supply PC
- power supply komputer
- computer power supply unit
- power supply computer
- psu computer
- kinds power supply and cases
- why is a computer power supply fan partially blocked