Conclusion On Replace power supply - For the users who are naive to computers,replacing a power supply is the toughest task. Some precautions must be taken before replacing this supply unit.
I have 450 Watt computer power supply and 120 GB hard disk.My system crashes alot all the time when I am trying to burn Cds and trying to access USB.My system is also execessively loaded with software.Do I need to upgrade my power supply because system is troubling alot ? What are your suggestions for this ?
Why should I replace Power supply of my system
- May be your supply is giving heavy noises, due to which you need to change your power supply unit.
- May be your computer system is extremely loaded with software versions and your wattage of power supply is not sufficient for it.
- May be possible your SMPS or Switched Mode Power Supply is corrupted because moisture and humidity has adverse effect on supply.
- May be your power supply is burned out due to some fault in a switch or short circuit in the circuit board.
- May be when you are getting no sound and no activity in your monitor then it is the time to replace your supply.
Problems with my Power supply
- May be the sparks coming from the main is a problem.This happens when you disconnect plug from the mains.
- May be possible your power supply unit has a weak standby current.
- If you are using 500w power supply, but you are having 2 hard drives and 2 video cards on PCI slot then this supply is just not enough for your computer.
- If your supply frequently shuts down then there must be some problem with on/off switch.
- Overheating of computer leads to failure of fan.
- Hard disk and fan are uanble to spin simultaneously because of not getting +12 volt power.
Troubleshooting Power supply problems
- Test your power supply by means of testor.Testor is a tool used to test the functionality of your power supply unit.
- If testing results in improper output supply of voltage then replace SMPS.Always choose SMPS having good power rating ,form factor and power wattage.
- Always buy power supply of wattage that is atleast equal to wattage of older supply.You can choose to go up by 1 size in wattage.
- It happens that some problems are not calculated directly, having a spare (extra) supply can fix the error lying in SMPS.
How to replace Power supply
- Always choose a good brand and model before replacing SMPS.If you are not specifying it then you will get generic power supply which is not suited for high end applications.
- Choose a good supply like ATX12V 2.x power supply.
- Finally, replacing a supply is quite easy.Remove all the cables from the back side.
- Open the case.Unplug all the power drive cables and cables connecting the motherboard.
- Check the power to CPU fan and remove the power switch.
- Place the new power supply inside the case and plug all the power cables connecting motherboard.
- Install the new supply.On the switch and enjoy the service.